THE AG.CLERK,NYANDARUA COUNTY ASSEMBLY
The Office of the Clerk of the County Assembly is established under Section 13 of the County Governments Act, 2012. The Clerk of the County Assembly is the senior-most serving officer in the County Assembly. He/She sits at a table below the Speaker’s chair.
The Clerk is the only non-elected person who regularly speaks in the Assembly. The Clerk of the House is the administrative and procedural head of the Assembly and oversees the day to day operations and affairs of the Parliament. The Clerk is assisted by the Deputy Clerk and Clerk Assistants.
The Clerk has several responsibilities in the County Assembly including:
- Assisting the Speaker to run the house proceedings including having thorough knowledge of the rules of the House and tabling all documents presented to the house.
- Helping the Speaker and Members of the Assembly to organize the order of business including providing advice on house Procedure.
- Drafting private members bills and amendments.
- Certifying the passage of bills through the Assembly.
- Assisting with ceremonial occasions, such as the opening of Assembly and is required to swear an oath of allegiance administered by the Speaker of the House to new Members of County Assembly.
- Pursuant to section 12 (1) of the County Governments Act 2012,The Clerk of the County Assembly is the secretary of the County Assembly Service Board.
- He/she is the accounting officer of the County Assembly.
Currently, Ms.Elizabeth Muthui is the acting Clerk of the Assembly and substantively serves as the Principal Procedural Clerk Assistant.