HON. JAMES WAHOME NDEGWA, MBS, SPEAKER NYANDARUA COUNTY ASSEMBLY, CHAIRMAN COUNTY ASSEMBLIES FORUM (CAF), KENYA
THE SPEAKER : The Constitution provides that there shall be a Speaker for each House who shall be elected by that House in accordance with the Constitution, the County Government Act and the Standing Orders.
Roles and Functions of Office of the Speaker of the County Assembly
The Speaker of the County Assembly shall have the following duties and responsibilities:-
1. The Constitution provides that “at every sitting of a House of County Assembly the Speaker presides
2. The Speaker of the County Assembly shall preside over all debates of the County Assembly and enforces the observance of the Constitution, the Standing Orders, relevant statute and Assembly traditions, procedures and practices;
3.The Speaker administers the oath of affirmation or allegiance to Members and issues writs for vacant County Assembly seats
4. The Speaker protects the rights of the minority while making sure that the majority have their way;
5. Organizing the business of the House as he/she is the Chairman of the House Business Committee;
6. Spokesperson of the County Assembly and shall ensure that the dignity of the County Assembly and by extension, Assembly, is upheld and its rights and privileges are not abused;
7. The Speaker is the final authority on all matters touching on the interpretation and application of the practice and procedure of Assembly at all times.
THE SPEAKER’S PROFILE
Hon. James Ndegwa Wahome, MBS is the founding Speaker of Nyandarua County Assembly. He is an advocate of the High Court of Kenya with 20 years of practice.
He graduated with a second class Upper Division Degree in Law (LLB) from the University of Nairobi in 1995.He is also a holder of a Diploma in Advocacy from Kenya School of Law (KSL).
Since admission to the Bar on 20th February, 1997, he has over 20 years of vast experience in various disciplines including but not limited to Criminal, Land, Conveyance, Insurance, Family & Traffic laws.
James Ndegwa Wahome, the 11th born in a family of 13 went to Munyeki Primary School in Ol’kalou and proceeded to Nyahururu High School between 1986 and 1989.
A social democrat driven by the passion to see the prosperity of the people of Nyandarua, Ndegwa Wahome is a family man married to one wife, Diana Wanja with whom they are blessed with three sons and one daughter; Peterson Ndegwa senior, Peterson Ndegwa junior, Victor Ndegwa and Ariela Gathoni.